Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mrs. Wright's Class

We are nearing the end of kindergarten. I cannot believe my time is almost up with your kiddos. It has been such a great year and I hope my students will all come back to read to my new class of kinders and stop by to say "hello" when they are in first grade next year. We are working these last couple of weeks with the idea that we are almost first graders, so much of the work/activities are done independently and without as much socialization with peers as we normally have. I want to make sure in every aspect that the kids are ready. Academically they are set. I am so proud of the progress each of them has made this year. You as parents have done a wonderful job with supporting them at home...Thank you!

In addition to prepping the students for first grade we are doing our last round of DIBELS testing this week and next and will be doing our end of the year assessments on the kids. We have also started our INSECT unit and will be working on addition and subtraction for the remainder of the year in math. I hope that you will keep up with academic based activities over the summer. Summertime calls for a break, but two months off without working on necessary skills will mean regression and that is not what we want for our kids. I encourage you to visit the library weekly and to be working on math facts, writing and reading. With the support over the summer I know each of the kids will have an easy transition to first grade.

It was wonderful to see you all at the Kindergarten Program! I hope you enjoyed the night full of songs and sweet memories. The kids worked very hard preparing and I think it was a super turnout! Thank you to all of the parents who volunteered their time to help make our program a success. We could have not done it without you. We also had a wonderful time learning about animals with our PHX ZOO on-site field trip. It was wonderful to have the animals all to ourselves and a great way for the kids to get an up close and personal look at each of them. I hope to post some pictures of the animals we saw soon. As you all are witnessing...these last few weeks will be busy. Our days in class will be filled with fun events, end of the year celebrations and wrapping up the remainder of the year in kindergarten. More information will be going home soon about our end of the year class party. so please keep a look out for that and plan to attend if you are able. Thank you so much for your support and help this year. It has been a blessing to have each one of your kids and I will cherish these last few weeks that I have with each of them.